Huperzine A is actually derived extensively from the Chinese Club Moss Huperzia Serrata and in small quantities from other species of Huperzia like H. Elmeri, H. Carinat, etc. Even though it is a naturally occurring substance, it undergoes lots of changes and manipulations in the lab to become the final product Huperzine A. You get a dosage of Huperzine A when you use Alpha Levo IQ.
Due to its morphology in becoming from a natural compound to a chemical component, there are people who would consider it as a drug. Its major use is in treating neurological complications like memory loss, Alzheimer’s disease and has its own pros and cons in the treatment of the brain and mood aberrations.
- It is used in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease as mentioned above. When this drug is taken through mouth for close to two months, say 8 weeks, it improves the functioning of the mental health and controls behavioral changes such as dementia
- It improves memory when taken by mouth for a month (4 weeks) especially teenagers and older children
But the long term effect of this drug is still yet to be proved for and there is not much evidence for the treatment of the following,
- It treats myasthenia gravis which is a muscular disease. There is a study which shows that Huperzine A, when given intramuscularly for 10 days, treats the weakness of the muscles and makes the muscles stronger.
- Age-related memory loss
- Mental impairment
- It increases alertness
- It enhances the energy
- It protects against nerve gasses which are the agents that damage the nerves
Way of Treatment
There are people who call it a wonder drug as it has the above mentioned uses, but how does it accomplish the task of taking care of mental and mood disabilities? It is a very simple process.
It increases the levels of the brain chemical acetylcholine, which is a chemical that aids the nerves in the communication process between the brain, muscles and other areas of the human system.
It is considered harmless when consumed for a short duration of time orally, say less than three months. But there are side effects that are reported as follows.
- Appetite Loss
- Slurry Speech
- Blurred Vision
- Increase in the Production of Saliva and Urine
- High Blood Pressure
- Slow Heart Rate
- Twitching and Contraction of Muscle Fibers or Myoclonic Jerks
1. Orally (by mouth):
- Alzheimer’s dementia is also referred to as vascular dementia. The dosage is 50 to 200 mcg of Huperzine A twice a day.
- For either senile or pre-senile dementia, the dosage is 30 mcg twice a day
- In order to improve the memory power of adolescent children, the dosage is 100 mcg two times a day
2. As an injection:
- For the treatment of myasthenia gravis, an injection of Huperzine A needs to be given every day
Precautionary Measures and Warning Signals
- Children: It is considered safe for adolescent children when taken orally for a shorter duration of less than a month’s time
- Pregnant and Breast Feeding Mothers: There is not much evidence of the safety of this drug and so the best suggestion would be to say no to it during pregnancy and breast feeding
- Slow Heart Rate: It has the capability to slow down the heart rate as mentioned above and so people with heart rate problems should avoid it. The patients with heart diseases can use it cautiously or carefully
- Seizure Disorder: As this drug has the potential of affecting the brain chemicals, it is advised to take it cautiously as it might make epilepsy worse
- Peptic Ulcers: People with sores in the stomach should be very careful in taking this medicine as it could worsen the condition. It actually causes congestion of the stomach by secreting mucus and fluids in the stomach.
- GI Tract Blockage: There is a possibility that Huperzine A could make things go from bad to worse due to the congestion it causes in the organs as it secretes mucous and fluids thus blocking the gastrointestinal tract even further.
- Asthma: Lung conditions like asthma or emphysema could get worse due to this drug’s congestion in the lungs and so always check with a medical practitioner before opting for this drug
- Urinary Tract/Reproductive System Blockage: It is advisable to consult your healthcare provider before going for this drug if you have urinary tract blockage or reproductive system blockage. The reason as mentioned above is due to the congestion caused because of the mucous and fluid secretions in the urinary tract and reproductive system tract.
In Combination with Other Drugs
- Anti-Cholinergic Drugs Or Drying Medications: When taken along with drying medications, Huperzine A actually suppresses the action of drying medications like atropine, scopolamine, antidepressants and antihistamines, etc
- Acetyl Cholinesterase Inhibitors (Alzheimer’s Medication): When Huperzine A is taken along with AChE inhibitors the side effects of the drugs gets increased as both the drugs affect the brain chemicals
- Cholinergic Drugs: Huperzine A has a chemical that is similar to the chemicals found in the drugs for treating glaucoma, Alzheimer’s disorder, etc. Therefore, it would enhance the side effects of the other drugs when taken in combination with these drugs.
Therefore, it is strictly advised to check with your healthcare provider before taking in Huperzine A along with other medications as the side effects and effects of the drugs would increase due to the consumption of the Huperzine A.
This may be a wonder drug for many young and old people due to its positive nature but beware of its advantages and disadvantages as every coin has two sides. The disadvantages might ring a bell and so be very cautious in opting for this drug when you are already taking other tablets too.
Always consult your healthcare provider before choosing Huperzine A as your wonder drug.